Phone: +47 51 51 62 10
Fax: +47 51 51 62 25
Friendship across Borders
– MHS as a global node can work to tear down walls between people of different backgrounds, says Degefe Benti, master student in theology.
Degefe Benti is from Aira in West-Ethiopia, is married and has two kids. He heard of MHS from a pastor in Ethiopia who studied here earlier. Degefe was attracted to the pastor’s teaching and his way of serving, which made him apply for studies through the network between MHS and the Theological Seminary in Aira.
– What do you study at MHS?
– I just finished my master thesis in Church History after two years study as a master student in theology. My thesis is about the impact of Pentecostals on the Ethiopian Evangelical church Mekane Yesus, which is a Lutheran.
– How did you like your studies here?
– It has been a blessing! The climate, the social, the studies and the academic level have been very good – a great privilege.
– What are your plans after finishing your studies here?
– I’m an ordained pastor in Ethiopia and I am ready to serve where my Church assigns me. Before I came to Norway for study, I used to serve both in the church and also as a teacher at the Theological Seminary in Aira. I’d like to continue doing both. The experience of living in Norway and my studies in theology here are great blessings that I want to take with me back home and use in my service there.
– MHS has a vision of being a global node – what are your thoughts on this?
– Such a vision contributes towards an enriched understanding of cultural, religious, social and global matters, something which has broadened my own perspectives in relation to theology. MHS as a global node can work to tear down walls between people of different backgrounds, and encourages them to share each other’s experiences by building relationships and friendship across borders of all kinds.
This interview appears in Norwegian in Misjonsmarka, No. 3, 2012.
The studies at MHS have been very useful. In my present job at the Police office in Stavanger I daily meet people from different parts of the world. I took both a bachelor and a master degree at MHS. I feel that my background has helped me a lot in my job in the Police.