Lantern slide projector

For the production of a brochure in the 1990s, the Mission Museum included photographs of selected items. One of these is a lantern slide projector, which is on display in the museum.

The "Optimus" projector was made by Perken, Son & Co. Ltd., London, UK. The company was registered with this name from January 1900 until some time after 1940. For more information about the company's history, see the web site Early photography.

The source of light was a flame from a wick fueled by kerosene or other types of fuel.

The equipment is also known as magic lantern or laterna magica, and it was invented in the 17th century.

Photographs were developed as positive images on 8 x 8 cm glass, and some images were even hand-colored by adding paint on the glass plate.

The Mission Archive has an extensive collection of lantern slides. Some of the slides were used for evangelistic purposes by the missionaries overseas, and some for information about the mission work in gatherings and meetings in Norway.

Lantern slide projector. Photo: Per Magne Tyvand.[ Click for larger version ]
Published: 2011‑09‑12