The Mission Museum, a historical collection since 1864

The Norwegian Mission Society established the Mission Museum when the School of Mission and Theology (at the time "Missionsskolen") got its current campus at the so-called "Mission field" in Stavanger in 1864.

The Mission Museum has a collection of more than five thousand artifacts from Norway and the various countries in which the Norwegian Mission Society has had missionary work since 1842. Parts of the collection are on display at the School of Mission and Theology.

In 2011 the Board of directors of the School of Mission and Theology decided to transfer the collection to the Mission Archives. As a consequence the collection will be catalogued in the database of the Mission Archives, including the records documenting the collection.

Painting from Lesehjemmet, Stavanger

This is a greeting by Fridtjof H. Asche, Stavanger in connection with the donation in 2004 of a painting which had been displayed at Lesehjemmet in Stavanger for several years.

  • Published: 2013-07-12

Lantern slide projector

For the production of a brochure in the 1990s, the Mission Museum included photographs of selected items. One of these is a lantern slide projector, which is on display in the museum.

  • Published: 2011-09-12